View Single Post
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 22:02   #29
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou View Post
what do you need to lock it off???
You dont need to literally lock this engine, just make some nice clear marks I use tippex it doesnt have to be on the timing marks themselves just mark your own points, as long as they are easy to see, just get your crankshaft at TDC as in your pics, then make the marks onto the pulleys and onto the cover, its just so basically if it moves when removing the belt you can at least put it back where it was, but try and get those original marks to line up better, it may be a long way out after you move it one tooth, that way you will know it was right at first, when I first started doing timing belts, sometimes after I fitted the new belt I would spend ages trying to get the marks spot on but a lot of times it would never be dead on the mark but if i tried a tooth either way it would be obviously out, so i would set it on the tooth i could get the closest to it, dont forget to rotate the crank twice to bring it back to TDC by hand and re-check all the marks, This is very important!