View Single Post
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 10:33   #24
A64

Dear all,

forgive me if I don't own a Volvo but at least my engine is one of these, the 5-cylinder 2.5T, sitting in my 2007 Ford S-Max Titanium.

It's the B5254T (B5254T3 most probably).

Anyway, the engine is in top condition but I'm considering a gas conversion and hear different opinions about how to do a conversion properly - or if have it done at all.

Can you maybe help me clarify some basics here, related to LPG conversion ?

1. The engine is told NOT to have hydraulic valve lifters. For gasoline operation this is still okay, for LPG we need to have valve clearance adjustment every 20.000km or so.. (I change oil every 15.000km anyways so not an issue to have both made at the same time).

2. This procedure is told to be not that simple with this engine because camshafts need to be taken off, alongside with the belts and everything around it to have a look and measure valve clearances - is that right, really that complicated ? It would significantly increase costs of a normal check and oil+filter swap.

3. An LPG converter company used to have an alternate option which is grate off a little on the camshafts at the proper place and build-in some kind of spacers for later easy adjustments of the valve clearances, without the need of full timing belt & camshaft removal. Can it be right, can this work ?

So confused now, not sure which system to take.. some countries use Alex/Optima systems, others BRC.

Of course I'd like to have it modded the right way but how to decide who knows the truth ?

And finally: my best friend owns a Focus ST 2.5T, same engine, he told me this engine has fixed valve lifters so no need to adjust any valve clearances, Volvo made these engines to last without the complications (??) of hydraulic valve lifters and I shall stay calm and relaxed, just use the engine. I doubt I shall not take any precautions so at first I don't want to believe him but .. I think it's better if I ask you too.

Many-many thanks.
A64 is offline   Reply With Quote