Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 15:18   #1795
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Is the hole big enough to pass a short bolt through held in place with a Nyloc nut and with penney washers either side of the hinge?

Alternatively the same bungee could be used by sliding the hook down from the end and tying a new knot in it to shorten it. Maybe use half the bungee each side to make it look neater.

With the spare wheel, i know now why that convenient bracket is there - should be a strap secured within the spare wheel well that comes up andhooks into that slot. There is a buckle that is adjustable to hold the wheel securely.

Whether a convenient bracket exists on the other side as well is another matter as i think the fuel filler neck is hidden there.
Ah, so that is what that little bracket is for, I thought it must be something like that. The strap is missing on the RB, so I use a bungee (as you may notice in the photo); it works fine. You are right, there is no bracket on the right side.

The hole in the arm would be big enough to take a bolt (about 5mm) - I'm thinking I could fasten a D buckle there and run the bungee through that.

I did think of just cutting the bungee in half and re-securing it, which would work but would of course would halve the spring rate, and therefore the force aiding the gas strut. It is just about right at the moment, so what I would need is a stiffer bungee.

The set up is more or less right now Dave, entirely due to your lateral thinking. I also think it is in keeping with the RB's ethos (not quite 'rat-bike', but not entirely conventional either). I will tidy it up a bit when I find the right shaped pieces of metal or rubber - just as you suggest.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: