Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 15:40   #1796
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Ah, so that is what that little bracket is for, I thought it must be something like that. The strap is missing on the RB, so I use a bungee (as you may notice in the photo); it works fine. You are right, there is no bracket on the right side.

The hole in the arm would be big enough to take a bolt (about 5mm) - I'm thinking I could fasten a D buckle there and run the bungee through that.

I did think of just cutting the bungee in half and re-securing it, which would work but would of course would halve the spring rate, and therefore the force aiding the gas strut. It is just about right at the moment, so what I would need is a stiffer bungee.

The set up is more or less right now Dave, entirely due to your lateral thinking. I also think it is in keeping with the RB's ethos (not quite 'rat-bike', but not entirely conventional either). I will tidy it up a bit when I find the right shaped pieces of metal or rubber - just as you suggest.

Alan
I was thinking about a D-shackle as well but i don't think they'd be long enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Long-D-sh...m/113606236087

Even on the long one, the bolt is 5mm and length "L" in the diagram is only 37mm :

If that's enough to put the bungee cord through and then hook them into the slot/bracket in place of that extension spring (the extra length from the D shackle may make them slightly looser) or even on the spring as it is if there's still enough tension in the bungee then that would make it more reliable and neaten it up.

I know you don't want to go "bespoke" so the ethos of the RB is kept but a reliable work-around is better than "that'll do". I was watching Guy Martin when he went to India and apparently they have a word that sounds like "ga-jar" which means roughly speaking "that'll do" but only just.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote