View Single Post
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 22:54   #503
Volsaab

Default New windscreen trim from VP Autoparts

The guy I bought my PV from had obviously tried to fit the bright trim into the rear window rubber with a hammer and block of wood. It was too far gone to salvage so whilst driving the car back from Sweden we popped into VP Autoparts and bought a new bright trim (about £100). I didn't buy the windscreen rubber because it looked new.
When we got home i realised the bright trim didn't follow the contours of the rubber seal. I spent a good half a day trying to bend it to shape, but as you can see from the photo it would be difficult to get the right shape without buckling it. At that time we still had our old PV so I held the trim up against the back window of that car, and it was a perfect shape. So I can only assume it is best to buy the bright trim and rubber surround from the same place at the same time, to avoid any mismatch.
The other thing I noticed is that you cleaned your bright strip with metal polish? They should all be anodised.
Anyway hope this all makes sense and is of some use.
One other thing - I noticed you had Amazon seats in the car and you were asking about the comfort of the original PV seats. I find them very comfortable (at least from 1962 onwards). I think the problem is that people put new seat covers on a 50 year old coil spring base with flattened horsehair stuffing, and expect it to be comfortable. i can post photos of how I restored the spring bases and backs of my seats if you are interested. Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo poppy 010.jpg (203.4 KB, 21 views)
Volsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volsaab For This Useful Post: