View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 01:23   #1
gsmithydrums

Default 16" - 18" V50 Alloys, Any Issues??

New member and first question. I've searched and had a good dig about on the Forum for a few tips and found nothing concrete.

Can anyone advise the following please?

I've a fantastic Facelifted 2008 V50 1.8 running 16" Alloys w/Good Year 205/55 and have the chance to upgrade to Medusa 18's. w/Pirelli 215/45. Though not unhappy with the performance of the 16" wheel and tyre combo the cosmetics of the 18's appeal to me more than the standard wheel combo.

I've already been advised that they will fit right on as they were from a 57 V50SE Sport but are there any hidden downsides to this purchase? I already know the issues surrounding tyre choice/cost here on the forum but mean will anything else have to be considered for replacement. Springs bushes etc? Obviously these wheels come fitted to a car with a sportier suspension set-up, so perhaps the ride would not suffer as much with the softer standard set up??

I've used the Rolling Radius cal.. and it works out at a 3.1% difference, is this acceptable? I don't wish to change the drive other than to lose a bit of body roll and swapping out 15 for 17's on my Focus running standard set-up tightened up sufficient with no detriment to handling or comfort!!

I've read somewhere here too, that the 18's fitted to the sportier models have spacers fitted to prevent arch rubbing, is this something I would need, considering I would not be lowering the standard height?

Any help much appreciated, even if its to tell me not to buy!!

17's are an option I would consider too but I've got a heck of a deal lined up on the medusa's and want to get it right.

Thanks

Gordon

Last edited by gsmithydrums; Aug 16th, 2011 at 01:33. Reason: ..
gsmithydrums is offline   Reply With Quote