Thread: V70: General - Fitting new A/C belt
View Single Post
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 23:55   #13
Jinxie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semnoz View Post
I take it you didn't read my last reply then
I didn't pay much attention to it as you clearly stated you were uncertain.

Quote:
That's why I was questioning how you would turn the top pulley by cranking the engine.
I intended to replace the aux belt with a new one during the same service and it's impossible to fit a new AC belt without removing the aux one anyway.

Quote:
Glad you got it sorted. I don't know of way to incorporate a proper stretch belt fitting tool as they seem to require the ability to turn the pulley via a central bolt as per this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK-q3JjEZbs
Yes, I can't see a way around it either. And there's all sorts of perils that render tools such as the one in the video useless (lack of sufficient clearance being an obvious one and minor model variations another).

Quote:
Having watched that, it reminded me that I was once advised to use an old credit card to slip the belt onto the pulley while turning it by hand....I'm going to guess Volvo have an official tool that isn't much more than a flat piece of plastic.
A credit card ain't nowhere near strong enough for this job as the belt is devilishly tight. This experience and not a few others have convinced me this will be my very last Volvo.
Funny how it's always the inferior of two companies or companies' systems/products that wins out. Saab and Volvo spring to mind. Saab were a class act.

Last edited by Jinxie; Feb 14th, 2018 at 01:47.
Jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote