View Single Post
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 08:51   #5
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Simplicity = reliability and durability.

This is a subject that arises regularly on this forum in various guises. Firstly I'm always interested in why does the spend suddenly exceed the value of the car: is it because the owner or previous owners have neglected it?

After all a V70 was a relatively expensive car when new so why expect it to cost small change to run when older.

Buying cars in the 5 - 10 year old bracket requires knowledge and care. Cars manufactured after 1995 - Digital cars: dual mass flywheels, diesels with particulate filers, Euro 6 vehicles will die young once they get into the hands of the 3rd and 4th owners - very few of these digital cars will reach their 20th birthdays.

Analogue cars, e.g older RWD Volvos (200s, 700s and 900s) have already reached 20 + years of age and are still being used reliably and inexpensively.

My own 1986 745GLa (owned from near new) has cost much less to run than my 2003 V70P2 (owned from near new), and the 745 has required much less non routine maintenance than the V70.

If you are budget conscious don't be seduced into buying a diesel - ignore fuel economy, diesels are far more expensive to maintain as they have many of the to avoid digital car features.

Jon.
700/900 Register Keeper VOC.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote