View Single Post
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 09:20   #8
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Simplicity equals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
+1 to all of the above.

The only caveat is that it depend on the overall condition of your car: if it has severe corrosion, or multiple major mechanical issues, then at some point you may need to be hard-headed.
My 740 is another matter. I've spent several times what I paid for it on spares and repairs, and plan to keep it indefinitely - 'cos I've bonded with it!
I don't entirely disagree with your first paragraph, but clearly if a car has severe corrosion (I've never had one of those personally), then it may be uneconomic (one person's uneconomic might not be mine) to repair. But multiple mechanical issues...I'd still have to question neglectful previous or current owners.

My/our 1986 745GLa has never suffered a failure as such, it was bought nearly new and has remained a cared for car ever since - if I spent £2000 on it would be a better car in many ways than our V70.

Preventative maintenance is a little practiced mantra; I have also, on many occasions written about the green aspect of RWD classic Volvos, they are, for many reasons, the ultimate recycleable car.

I would take either of my 740s anywhere (I particularly like Spain), it is a car that could be repaired anywhere, that's if it needed it. Our 745 was first registered 29 years ago, we've had it 28.5 of those.

Jon.
700/900 Register Keeper VOC.

Last edited by Prufrock; Apr 25th, 2015 at 09:26.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote