View Single Post
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 10:29   #33
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Oh Dave !!!!

Torque is force x length in any units. And weight is force.

Don't start me orf re continentals. Most of 'em are good eggs init. We also have our not welcome politicians and bureaucrats and smart alecs. It's the same the whole World over ....

The confuddling, for me, arrives with the concept of mass, which is not weight, not force.

But an apple weighs about 4 oz and that is the force or weight known as a newton.

Bramleys are good init. At a previous address I had a lovely mature Bramley tree. One neighbour became friendly when I was picking the apples.
The point i was making Stephen is that Newtons (now, not when i went to school) are defined as 1kg accelerated at the speed of gravity to create a force of momentum. While momentum comprises weight/mass it isn't weight/mass as it has another component, that of movement.

Using my previous example of a 1lb weight on the end of a 6ft bar driving a socket on the end of a fastener, regardless of whether it moves the fastener or not (let's assume for a moment it is tightened to 12lb-ft so won't move with only half that) it is still exerting a turning effort or torque of 6lb-ft.

On the subject of apples, i'd guesstimate most apples (eating) are about 3-4oz, i've known a couple of Bramleys that have tipped the scales at well over a pound (lb), not sure i've actually seen one that weighed 1kg (2.21lb) but going back to why we use the lb pound - THAT came over from Europe when we were invaded in the Middle Ages!
Short for libre (French word i believe?), we use the lb as an abbreviation. In terms of money, we use the £ which is a slightly deformed "L" and the original Pound Sterling was a pound (lb) weight of Sterling silver.

In other words, the EU in a former medieval incarnation already foisted their strange measurements on us and now they want us to change again to an even more confusing and strange set of measurements.

On a final footnote on this massive swing off-topic, big apologies Joe, i think this started when i suggested the 12v electric impact torque wrench.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: