View Single Post
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 02:50   #2
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Hi Spike,

I must confess that despite being register keeper for the 300 series, my knowledge of the CVT system is somewhat limited. When you say loads of noise, as if the car is stuck in a low gear, I assume you mean the engine speed is excessively high, compared with how it used to be?

In that case, the oil probably isn't your issue, although it is well worth checking the level of that anyway. I suggest you get hold of a Haynes manual if you don't already have one to help you with that. I know of a man who has 2-3 spares which he'll be happy to send out for a nominal fee, if you want one.

First question, just to insult your intelligence...you've not hit the 'low gear hold' switch by accident, have you?

The CVT box is controlled by engine vacuum. Vacuum is used to move the 'cones' in which the belts run around, and if this vacuum is not controlled correctly, you will get an incorrect gear ratio.

As I mentioned earlier, my knowledge of the CVT box is limited. I have a copy of Mac's excellent CVT manual, which I will consult if you want some more information on the subject. It's getting a bit late for tonight!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote