View Single Post
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 20:51   #30
400-ascona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You actualy held 300nm of torque with that method ? sounds quite dangerous had the screwdriver slipped.
It will be more than 300nm with the breaking force. People have been using screwdrivers in the ring gear for many years. It needs to be a good size screwdriver. Highly unlikely to be dangerous as the screwdriver can travel nowhere with all the brackets and cables that surround the area.

As for bulbs, I'm afraid that sounds like hype to me. I rarely have found the need to change bulbs, but have never yet bought a bulb from a dealer. If you buy a good make of bulb, like the Phillips I used on the Xenons in teh XC, it will be produced on the same line as the ones that Volvo supply also made by Phillips. There is no way the quality manufacturers have one line producing low life bulbs for Joe Public and another producing high life ones just for dealers.

As for auxiliary drive belt tensioner and pulley, I understand what your saying and agree with commonly held belief that you should also do the water pump if your paying someone to do the job. However for me if it's an easy one to do I will go on condition (D5) as my time really costs me nothing and the cam belt is easy to take on and off. That said on the T6 I did the thermostat when I did the cam belt based on your advice, as its a pig of a job to get at!

All the above is just my opinion, and my wife will be the first one to tell you I always have an opinion!

Figured you'd had a bad day, as I usually have a lot of respect for your posts.

Rob.