View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2020, 20:54   #12
Ian21401
Premier Member

If the brakes still feel normal and work efficiently I would drive it. The ABS is just an aid to braking when on a slippery surface which very quickly and repeatedly applies then releases the brakes to keep the wheels turning so that directional control may be maintained. On a normal surface ABS does not activate and the brakes operate normally.
Before ABS, if braking on a slippery surface one or more wheels would stop rotating and directional control could be lost. To maintain directional control the driver needed to rapidly apply and release the brakes. That is known as “cadence” braking. The ABS does the same thing but in a much quicker and organised fashion.
My current 940 is the first car that I have owned which is equipped with ABS. During the first winter I needed to brake hard on a snowy surface when a pedestrian decided not to wait for the traffic lights to change. I immediately started to cadence brake, only to feel the ABS kick in each time I depressed the brake pedal, so after the first few depressions of the brake pedal I just kept my foot on the brakes and let the ABS do it’s thing. It worked.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: