Thread: Amazon: - New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122
View Single Post
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 13:20   #194
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Under that cap is the red wire, positive connection, to the coil. If you carefully use a hole saw just to cut through the cap you can solder on an extra wire to go to a stand alone coil or the positive side of an electronic ignition system. A blanking grommet with a hole in will make the mod almost invisible, and safer.
ah, I see - much as I thought.. and then leave the old coil in place so things look more or less as normal (except no -ve or HT wires)?

Alan

Addendum: I found a picture:

... so the ignition key, armoured cable and coil are all one component - how bizarre.

On reflection, I think it would be a pity to lose that originality, so I'll either just stick with breaker points (I'm warming to that idea, I had a look at that today, accessibility is good (which is just as well, the ones fitted are quite badly pitted and need to be changed soon) - or just run a +ve wire in the way you say to a replacement electronic ignition unit and keep the same coil. I can't find the coil's primary impedance in the green book, but I'm guessing it would be something like 2-4 Ohm?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jan 22nd, 2022 at 13:39.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: