View Single Post
Old Dec 19th, 2020, 08:34   #280
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Sorry to be slow, Dave. I've been thinking this over, wondering how much I want his phone involved in the car. We had a quick chat this evening, and it seems you can lock the phone away in the glove compartment so it's not a distraction while driving, while having a playlist run, connected by bluetooth. But then discussion went on to speakers and all sorts of complexities, so I reckon this isn't a Christmas decision at this stage of the proceedings!

Any thoughts really appreciated. We need a Father Christmas emoji on here.
Good morn Chris,
I'm guessing your boy is late teens - a little older probably than my son Dan (16 - and knows everything of course - but dads are still useful...). I'm not sure it is a good idea to try to stop a teenager having his or her cell phone in the car - they are surgically attached to their cell phones - it is just the way of the world.

That being said, there needs to be some allowance for when your son is in the driving seat - so I'm with Dave and the BT radio idea. The RB came with a nice Sony BT radio that also plays lots of different media and FM/AM (for the shipping forecast?) that just needed fitting properly.

I've rigged it up with some magnetic supports on the dash so I can semi-permanently fit a nice, large ruggedised cell phone that I normally use strapped to the bars on my motorbikes (I bought it because it is called a 'King Kong').

It works fine and also means I can use the SATNAV in Google maps linked through the door speakers. I can also play digital radio stations from the cell phone and access its music library direct from the radio (using a little bit of Sony software installed on the cell phone):

I think your son would really appreciate a BT radio so he could link his cell phone to the car - Dan does that when we are driving around in both the Porsche and the Skoda (so my Smooth Chill FM gets replaced by some street rappin' music).

Last edited by Othen; Dec 19th, 2020 at 09:18. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: