View Single Post
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 13:23   #17
Jerry1975

Cool

Possibly getting a little carried away here with specifics on tyres and insurance companies IMO

I've worked for insurance companies and also brokerages for over 25 years handling a variety of motor insurance claims and I can't say that I've ever seen an insurance company discuss the ratings of tyres on a vehicle when handling a claim.

In my experience, the only thing an insurer would look at tyres-wise when handling a motor claim would be that they were: -

a) road legal (i.e. correct tyre pressures, adequate tread depth and condition to pass an MOT)
b) of the correct specification for the model of car as stated by the vehicle manufacturer (i.e. what is stated in the owner's manual)

...then consideration would be given to if the vehicle was overloaded and/or the size of the trailer/caravan at the time of the incident etc.

Phoning an insurance company to ask them about different load ratings of tyres for your car would be a complete waste of time and you would probably end up sat on hold for ages while the clerk spent ages finding out what I said in point b) above.

Each to their own really and I know what I'd do tyre-wise but you're best off sticking to the specification that Volvo recommend.

Hope this helps

J
Jerry1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry1975 For This Useful Post: