View Single Post
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 11:56   #1
sjm

I have seen messages relating to my problem here on the Volvo Owners web site and elsewhere. I am looking for advice on the order to ask my garage to check these things out as my car is only worth around £2k I don't want to waste too much money. Mentioned so far have been...

o Fuel Pump relay
o Cam Position sensor
o Crank Position sensor (same as above?)
o MAF sensor
o Swarf wrapped around Fyle Pump gauze
o Oil too thick (or lose of oil) around tappets
o Butterfly valve in throttle setting

I have an M reg Volvo SE 850 2.0 20valve manual estate. For the last 2-3 years it would be hard to re-start after stopping the car. Waiting for 30 seconds works. For the past year the car has broken down when in motion. This typically happens early on in a journey, and when 'coasting' as opposed to accelerating (eg. going around roundabouts etc). It has not yet happened on a typical Motorway journey (where the accelerator is being used constantly).
Occasionally when it is in the process of slowing down with no electrical power if you floor the accelerator it will occasionally restart before you stop. On the journey home last night (10 miles) it stopped 3x. Combined with the initial problem, this is now 'unsafe', and worries me especially when carrying my family. I have had the car looked at by a Volvo dealer in Guildford (but have since moved to this area), and they believed the problem is caused by low oil levels (tappets over-heating?). The car does seem to 'lose' oil over time, but does not seem to burn or leak any. And hasn't been low following recent incidents.

Cheers
Steve