View Single Post
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 12:06   #15
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellini View Post
In my experience of diesel tuning, the black smoke on acceleration is caused by over-fuelling and not the DPF being removed.

By way of an example, many years ago I had my 300Tdi Defeder 'tuned' by what was thought to be a reputable company. Hybrid turbo, intercooler, etc.

It smoked heavily on acceleration and was generally rather unsociable in this respect.

I had another company look at this and they immediately diagnosed the problem with chronic over-fuelling. This had a detrimental effect on EGT's (exhaust gas temperature - so vital when tuning a diesel) and rectified things massively with an sizeable improvement in emissions (no black smoke and better power delivery). An EGT gauge was fitted both to tune and to monitor and things are still dandy 6 years later.

I digress by way of illustration. However, my point remains about the over-fuelling and what could be suggested as a rather poor remap.

I've no beef with the DPF delete legalities, but am suggesting that merely removing the DFP shouldn't result in clouds of black smoke on acceleration.

Happy to be proven wrong.
did this vehicle you use as an example have a dpf? If not then it doesn't prove you wrong, but it also adds nothing to prove you right.

i.e. Deisel without dpf + over fuel = smoke
deisel with dpf delete = smoke
deisel with dpf delete + over fuel = smoke

now the important ones
deisel with dpf NO over fuel = NO smoke

deisel with dpf + over fuel = NO smoke. probably just a rapidly blocked dpf and limp mode....

If you have a functioning Dust particle filter the dust particles which cause the black smoke from partially burnt fuel won't escape, over fueling or not....