View Single Post
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 13:30   #17
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellini View Post
I accept my illustration probably wasn't the best, but the engine and vehicle in question is 25 years old with over 160,000 miles on the clock. I also own another diesel vehicle with a 5-cylinder OM602 Mercedes engine (non-DPF) that is 28 years-old and has done just over 60,000 miles since new. That runs at a high load most of the time and that also does not smoke.

However, assuming I've understood you correctly, I do not understand how a non-DPF'd diesel can run smoke-free and yet a modern DPF-removed diesel can run and smoke. A modern diesel engine with a better combustion technology ought to be cleaner without a DPF, surely? The DPF addition, to my mind, should make it even cleaner on emissions.

Again, I stand to be corrected.

I'll repeat that I have no beef with the legalities of DPF's and am not condoning their removal.
the smoke is a visual indicator the exhaust gases are toxic. but you will get toxic **** in it before it becomes so bad it's visible. My point is, that un burnt particulates that are indicative of partially burnt fuel, will be stopped by the dpf
The Following User Says Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post: