View Single Post
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 11:38   #73
dingov70
Master Member

Good morning , I will step in if I may . I am an MOT tester & see several xc60 /90's / BMW X5's & Range rovers with the same issue .

Firstly the tester should not use the roller brake tester due to the vehicle being constant 4 wheel drive , you may well break /damage something . The correct method is to use a decelerometer , as this works through all the wheels & can increase the effort recorded , providing a pass .

you cannot use the left in park argument to obtain a pass certificate . You may well cause a lot of unwarranted issues for the tester by implication of an incorrect test procedure having been performed , resulting in an appeal & disciplinary action against the tester .

P on an auto box engages a pawl on the mainshaft , locking that . If a drive shaft snapped or a hub sheared the vehicle could well move unexpectedly . Also P on the auto box DOES NOT operate the parking ( emergency ) brake in any way , the parking brake is a totally separate system .

As you have already noted your parking brake is foot operated & therefore NOT actioned by placing the auto box in P . If you actually saw the size of the locking pawl in an auto box you most certainly would think twice about resting several tons against it on a slope .

Oh and we are nominated testers , never " inspectors "