View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2019, 14:57   #4
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Hot days!

I realise that this is the resurrection of ancient history but maybe somebody can help me with an intermittent fault on my Motronic B230ET 760T. On very hot days, when slow moving (sticky traffic) she will splutter and die. She also worryingly did it on a not very hot day recently just as emerging (slowly) from the Rotherhithe tunnel. Leave her 20 minutes and she will run perfectly - and if kept above 35 mph continue to run perfectly.

I had a similar fault on one of my B230FT 940 Sports, and that turned out to be the crank position sensor. New despite some experts saying that the Motronics did NOT have a CPS, my garage changed the CPS and it has not effected a cure.

Others said "ignition amplifier, needs fresh thermal paste" - which is why Mr Google led me here - but from this thread it seems that I have not got an ignition amplifier - save for the power stage for the injectors. Can anybody pls post a picture of the power stage so I can find it, and check that it has proper heat dissipation?

Another possibility might be overheating of the coil - possibly to be cured by new coil and thermal paste in the securing strap.

A third possibility could be fuel vaporisation, but what could have changed to affect that?

I do NOT want to have to replace the ECU, so I hope it will not be that. And it's one of the parts I have not got a spare for!

Of course a fault that only crops up once or twice a year is a real bathmat to find.

What does the team think?
940 Sport M90 estate, N reg 100k miles, ex Lovejoy.
960 Estate, N reg, 56k miles, blown up and sold.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote