View Single Post
Old Nov 20th, 2023, 22:59   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Not a wise idea. There's ANPR cameras all over the place, plus you never know if there's a Police car hiding around the corner. I highly doubt they'll let the car out of the garage that failed on brakes. If they did and the driver was caught, someone would be asking the garage and the driver questions! Not that the Police would look directly at what the car failed on, but a failed MOT is a failed MOT in their eyes. It shouldn't be on the road until repaired.
You won't get picked up on ANPR unless the previous MOT has already expired because it would still have a valid MOT. An MOT failure, no matter how badly, does not mean the previous MOT certificate is invalid.

The garage cannot withhold the car from the owner, it is not their property, there is no legal obligation for them to do that or legal process to enable that. The onus is on the driver (not even the owner).

I don't see why he shouldn't drive it personally (back home to another garage for repairs) - it was 100% legal perhaps the day before when it had 1.5mm of brake pad material remaining, now it might have 1.499mm it's not suddenly dangerous. It's the same with tyres - 1.6mm is perfectly legal. 1.599mm is "Dangerous". If the pads were so worn it was affecting the service brake performance - then yes. But I don't think that is the case.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Nov 20th, 2023 at 23:02.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote