Thread: Rear wiper died
View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2020, 22:30   #11
R-P
Master Member

I think there was someone offering the spindle (I always refer to it as toothed gearwheel as I am not a native speaker) after painstakingly writing a program to 3D print it correctly.

But strangely enough, there was very little demand...

It the wiper does half swipes and you hear something like a relay ticking, this is a clear indication it is about to die: the ticking is a temperature controlled overcurrent switch: too much current and it trips. When it cools, it tries again.

I did a lengthy post about my ventures, but all pics disappeared. Mine was caused by wateringress between the axle and the housing. The rust expands compared to a smooth axle and thus the current needed kept increasing. BUT once I had fixed this, the current needed was still 10 times more than a smooth running wiper! Turned out the bearings of the motor were also seized.

BEWARE when taking the motor apart, if you put it in the wrong way round (or was it putting the carbon-brushes the wrong way round?), the wiper will move in the wrong direction a little bit before going in the correct direction, so you end up wiping your boot-door instead of just your window.

(Ask me how I know this...)

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote