View Single Post
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 16:08   #3
green van man
Premier Member

I do not have a CTEC charger, I do however have a fully automatic Halfords charger. It has normal or gel battery setting and after that is compleatly autonomous.

Last week visited caravan in storage to find I had inadvertently left the motor mover control power on. This along with the alarm system had flattened the battery such that I could only get a reading of 1v across the terminals. Not having facility to charge it on site I brought it home and connected the halfords charger. 2 days later the yellow charge light changed to fully charged and maintains green light.
My point being that the halfords charger was a lot cheaper than the price you quote for the CTEC and would seem to do the same job.
The only time I've used it on the volvo was after I left the sidelights on and flattened the battery, overnight charge with +ive connected to battery and -ive to engine earth saw the car start with no problem and thereafter the alternator did it's job.

Running 2 cars the volvo often doesnot turn a wheel for weeks on end, however other than the occasion I left the sidelights on I have never had a fail to start with it. When it does get used it's a minimum of 20 miles and mostly 90 before being turned off again.

Hope that gives food for thought.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote