Thread: V50 G/box : - Powershift problem
View Single Post
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 00:34   #13
eurocrat

Default Powershift update

Just an update on the Powershift "Transmission Performance Low" issue.

Had the vehicle towed to a main Volvo dealer (not the original seller operation, because they were overloaded - and might have a conflict of interest as well since they had just performed the 50kmile/80kkm service!)

Outcome was MUCH worse than expected. The dealer genuinely tried their best to solve the problem ... first doing a software upgrade to the box, then having Göteborg analyse the disgnostics, then replacing a minor hydraulic valve component. Anyway nothing worked.

Volvo were unable to even diagnose what the problem (if any) actually was.

The only solution was ... to fit a whole new gearbox! We needed the vehicle and had no choice. We just collected the car, and yes, now it works fine but the cost was an eyewatering €4,800 on top of the €850 for the service (which potentially triggered the whole story)!

I am writing a complaint to Volvo about this and will request some compensation for this extraordinary cost. OK the car is 4 years old and thus out of warranty; but you don't expect a cost like this on such a vehicle. Also it calls into question V's engineering integrity supplying a third-party component which they appear not to master. Similar remark applies to commercial integrity for simply selling a brand-new gearbox at full price rather than a "reconditioned" unit or rebating the customer. It's just as if you'd been told that because your spark-plugs are used you need to purchase a new engine!

I will let you know what response I get from Volvo - who I really hope will act with decency - although we all know that claiming back money already handed over is not often successful.
eurocrat is offline   Reply With Quote