View Single Post
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 14:03   #1
hozzer

Default Buying used V40 D4 64 plate

Hi guys,

Been looking at used cars for a while now and finally decided on getting a V40. I have also been looking around forums, like this one, to check any common problems and what I should look out for.

The biggest risk I see is the EGR problem that the D4 engines seem to encounter. I would prefer to purchase a D4 because of the extra power you get but I'm still seriously considering a D2 in case it could prove to be too much of a headache.

My question revolves on what I need to look out for basically. I've got a V40 D4 R-Design Lux Nav in my sights that seems on a par, cost wise, with other lower spec versions. It has about 70k mileage and a full service history so today I asked the dealer if the EGR problem had been mentioned in any of the reports, no reply as of yet.

Is this the only issue I should be mindful of? (other than the normal car checks you're encouraged to do of course). Also, if the dealer says that no EGR issues have been found/rectified should I leave it alone or negotiate a lower price, enough so I can get the problem fixed myself?

Any advice much appreciated!
hozzer is offline   Reply With Quote