View Single Post
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 19:02   #12
GSB

Hi guys, new member here.

I too have been pondering the ridiculously poor light output of my C30’s headlights since I picked it up last week.

A look at the headlight units themselves has revealed that they have previously been fitted with an HID ‘upgrade’ of dubious quality (or a hungry badger has knawed holes in the back of my headlights and half the wiring), net result is the reflectors are toast and the Osram night breaker laser lamps I put in are currently putting out less additional light than a clipper lighter waved at an Ed Sheeran gig.

Properly designed LED’s are unbelievably good, I have an Audi with matrix headlights and they are beyond excellent, but throwing a LED or an HID lamp into a housing it was never designed for will never replicate them, and I’m unwilling to run illegal lights. This leaves me with the option of new OEM headlights (££££££-ouch), or fitting the new H7 modules from retrofitlab as suggested by T5R92001.

Thing is, these E46 clones are based on a decades old design and are far from perfect, so perhaps fitting something like a 50mm Hella 1BL 009 071-001 into the headlight housing would offer something with more modern output? It’s fully legal, it’s halogen so doesn’t need self levelling tech, and it looks like it should be fairly easy to fit... Which begs the question, has anyone done it?
GSB is offline   Reply With Quote