View Single Post
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 00:59   #64
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4nny392 View Post
Had this dreaded error on my 2002 S60 D5, here are some tips applied for fixing mine.
1, disconnect battery
2, remove driver's airbag and check the continuity and resistance on the steering wheel squib module. I found that on full lock to the right, the resistance went allover the place on mine.
3, if applicable, disconnect the connector on the driver's seat, locate both ends of the loom and again, check continuity and resistance through the circuit. The seat's movement can eventually cause the wiring to break and show high resistance.
4, Inspect the Airbag Control Module located in the centre console. Access by removing the trim pieces down both sides of the tunnel, pen holder, gear stick surround, coin holder and main console. ACM is a small Bosch component with a large multi-pin connector. Unplug it, check for tarnishing on the connectors and for any signs of liquid ingress. I found mine had several dry joints inside it but I wouldn't recommend going any further if you don't know what you're doing here. I located an S60 in a scrappers in Leeds which had the same airbag setup in it and after matching the part numbers I bought the correct AEM for <£10 and the steering wheel squib for the same.
Note: VIDA will clear the faults from the system but the replacement AEM will show a comms error with the CEM. Volvo will be able to fix this for circa £100 (based on Volvo in Leeds) by running a software update on the AEM and configuring it to your vehicle's existing CEM. They did argue the toss this wouldn't work, but it did.
Resistance testing the airbag system is a very bad idea.