View Single Post
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 10:41   #6
Montana
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I am in the pounding camp.
If the unit is adequately supported the shock load from a hammer blow can easily equal a 40 ton press and shock loading is far more effective at getting things moving than steady pressure.

I replace the wheel bearings on my caravan every 2 years, not because they are worn but because they pit with standing. I have taken the route of cheap bearings and change regularly rather than expensive bearings that will pit in 4 years anyway.

To this end I had mandrils made up and a support tube. Removal mandril acts on the centre of the race but as it's going in the bin I don't care. Beat the bearing out and use the refitting mandril which acts on the outer race only to tap the new in.

A friend took his v70 hub assembly to a garage to have bearings pressed out. Huge pressure and when it finally gave the assembly flew across the room landing on the floor. Dependant upon how the unit is supported other damage can easily be done to it by such pressure.
This is why I support on a tube under the bearing to be removed, support on the housing and twisting, misshaping is almost inevitable.

Paul.
Interesting, so say the hub is clamped in the vice, you have a tube under the hub, supporting the face of the hub/bearing - then smack it from above?

When refitting - you use a socket (your homemade device) and tab back in with a hammer? No press?

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote