View Single Post
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 16:52   #14
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Quacker what is the night vision like on these two dashcams, especially the rear facing one as there are no headlights lighting up the field of view.
I have a cheap cam in the rear of my XC90 and its next to useless at night. Night mode only lights up reflective signs like number plates but everything else is too dark. And you have to start car then go to the back of car lift tailgate and press the night mode button manually before setting off so never gets activated.

Anyone thinking about buying a dashcam and it says it has night mode check to see how it is activated before buying. Especially if its for the rear view.
No tiny sensor camera will light up total darkness and no camera will work with headlights aimed at it. They will work quite well on lit streets however.
Forget those with infra-red array around the lens. They are useless, because the range is tiny.
There is no manual night mode on these two models or any other that I have, although they do automatically EV-compensate somewhat. They do not record speed or have satellite location. None of which are necessary on dash cams and are features that are seldom, if ever utilised.
Have a look at various Youtube reviews for comparisons, while remembering that many reviewers like to nitpick on very minor differences to fill time