View Single Post
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 09:57   #42
FollowingGhosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthantsPete View Post
OK tank of vpower done, im convinced its freeing things up - im convinced its the turbo vanes sticking because if you stick at one speed, they lock in and acceleration is poor. I haven't had the problem on a tank of vpower but i have been revving when warm to clear the vanes. Im not going to kill off the idea of ultimate yet as who knows, it could have been running rough due to the cleaning process.
The vpower i would say is really good, so much so the car almost needs holding back when cruising.

theres now a weird lumpy hesitation at 2500rpm, which it think is the sore spot of the vanes that needs clearing

its now got, due to me wanting to check how many miles i got from £25, Esso premium in it and this is also nice fuel, so far its smooth and better than BP, very quiet at 70mph but the cetane i predict is less as theres more revs required lower down the gears.

I think i need to aim for branded fuel and premium.

I will see if the problem returns after a good stunt with these premium fuels with normal branded diesel such as shell eco or esso standard ( as i hear their additive package is still good for maintenance).

Anyone else on premium atm?
This is based on my experience with VAG diesels rather than Volvo, where the Mr Muscle treatment for clogged vanes is something that makes a big difference to how the car drives.

Is the turbo on these vacuum controlled or electronically controlled? With the age of the car, vacuum lines can start to perish and cause problems (one of the problems I had with a VAG 1.9tdi)

The stuff quite a few people swear by is a couple of bottles of Forte Turbo Cleaner mixed with a tank of VPower to really clean things out. It's about 15 quid a bottle but if they're not too bad, it can make the difference.

I always noticed my turbo would start getting grouchy without VPower on the TDI and found that the trade-off between a couple extra mpg and a happier car versus a few more pence at the pump was worth it. I even find their unleaded in a carburetted 500cc bike makes a difference when it's on V-Power.
FollowingGhosts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FollowingGhosts For This Useful Post: