View Single Post
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 14:47   #309
scbamber

Hello All

I couldn't see if this combination of issues has already been covered on this thread to do with the Volvo recall for the manifold...if so, apologies

My MY15 D4 had it routine 5th year service a fortnight ago at the Volvo dealers....all well. When I collected it the service staff said they would now book it in to rectify the potential manifold issue that triggered the recall ("We have just now been able to start getting cars back in to do the work and are booking in those who are coming in anyway for service"). It was booked for today.

When I went in this morning the worksheet said

"1: swirl throttle jammed (vacuum test;inlet valve seals check)
2: manifold upgrade"

Remembering a thread on here that checking the inlet valve seals seem recently and suddenly to have been added to the routine service checks, I commented that the fact of a stuck swirl valve was not listed on the service worksheet a fortnight ago. Reply: "Well, it wouldn't have been on your copy but that is part of why we booked you in for today". They more than implied that stuck swirl valves like this are/may be contributing to the fire risk issue at the manifold.

I have always been more than happy with this dealer (and still am). As I have a courtesy car for 3 days, it certainly looks as if very considerable work is involved at Volvo's expense.

Anyone else know about the swirl valves? (I seem to remember that ones that have broken up have wrecked complete engines as the bits went straight into the bores, and not just Volvos of course. One solution (usually by individuals) has been to simply remove them, but that affects performance and emissions. Manufacturers can't do that.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote