Thread: 262 General: - V6 not starting
View Single Post
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 18:11   #73

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Normally NGKs are good plugs and a safe bet from wherever they come from. I did have a bad set from my local parts factor who suggested they were fakes when i described the symptoms, similar to what you've described.

Then they asked where i got them from!

Told them and first they gave me a good price on the replacement set and second, explained there had been a lot of fakes doing the rounds.

Along similar lines, i heard of a major logistics firm who bought a new fleet of artic tractor units and they were fitted with Continental tyres from the factory. All the tyres turned out to be fakes. Cost them an absolute fortune and the dealer and manufacturer of the trucks denied all liability. This was ~15 years ago now.

As for that oil leak, it actually looks like it's coming from somewhere above, running down the front cover and pooling in that hole - i could be wrong but it's often a false flag when you see oil in a hole like that.
I've never had any issues with NGK's until now, but let's not be too hasty. The replacement aren't installed yet
I have been using Denso plugs on my other cars and they are lasting well.

This oil leak is very puzzling, I have had the super bright torch on it, with rags above the hole as I too was thinking it's coming from further up. No, it still came out quite quickly from that hole, you could see the oil building up before it dribbled out of the hole
I am going to call on the services of my neighbour to investigate and hand this over to his expertise. Unfortunately the few garages I have contacted won't touch the car, the rest won't even call me back

Cheers Peter
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1978 For This Useful Post: