Thread: XC70: Body - Rear tailgate will not open
View Single Post
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 21:34   #32
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croft View Post
Hi - resorted to buying a new latch from local Volvo dealer. Did consider the offerings from the auction sites, but in looking at the photos decided to splash out on a new one for just under £250.

Fitted it, all works well. Decided to have a look in the old one. This cannot be dismantled without damage to the case as it has been pressed into the metal assembly. The plastic case had become brittle with age too. Besides, it is a very complicated component for what essentially a simple task.

The likely cause of my issues and intermittent operation seems to be a broken rubber bushing that was fowling the actuator, preventing full movement. This in turn then puts the mechanism out of sync with all the microswitches.

I have highlighted the troublesome part below. My advice, replace the lock!
Thanks for that Croft, I phoned my local Volvo stealer last week and their parts man quoted me £284.40 and about a week to get it up here to the frozen north of Scotland. I'll contact Rufe at FRF Volvo Swansea next week and see what price he can give me on a new lock delivered up here.

Still too bloody cold to work outside at the moment and anyway I have a stinking cold so am keeping warm indoors.