Thread: 240 General: - Recommended Garage (East London)
View Single Post
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 09:30   #6
ktz

Hi @Bugjam – thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Replacing the engine and transmission mounts is a simple job- any garage will be able to do that for you, or you could with pretty basic tools- socket set, jack, stands etc.
Aye, I have seen and read some tutorials on this and it looked pretty basic, but really only with something to lift / support the engine. I was going to invest in the stands and jack (especially for the future), but then figured if I had to take it in to get it signed off anyway, then I may as well have them do it.

Quote:
Cracked headlight is also a pretty simple job, you can buy replacement glass- and reflectors which could be changed at the same time if yours are in need of it.
It was until I screwed it up. I bought a new piece of glass and was ready to go, but then the bolts fixing the headlight unit to the car we rusted shut. I did what I could to loosen them, but ended up stripping the (poorly designed) plastic "grips" that hold them on the inside of the lights. I had to then drill out the bolts and with that, seemingly damaged it even more. Still might be repairable with some resin (or washers, bypassing that little recess completely), but then all the little clips holding the lights in are also crumbling. The more I unravelled, the more it felt unsurmountable. One of the front wipers also broke, but I'm not that fussed about that. The cost of a replacement seems to be more than it's worth.

Quote:
Did you get to the bottom of the battery drain issue?
I tried everything under the sun but couldn't seem to find it. I tested and cleaned every fuse looking for the slow drain, but even with all of them in, checking the battery it didn't read anything. After I had replaced the battery it seem that something that I had done had fixed it sat for a week or two and still started, but then despite driving it at least once a week, the problem reared its ugly head again. I remember someone in another thread mentioning a short in the locking mechanism due to water ingress via the window seals, so I just bought new ones to try that out, but somehow I'm not hopeful.

Quote:
What makes you think there’s something wrong with the transmission? Is it auto or manual?
It's a manual. It seemed ok, but the lorry dragged it about 5 -6 ft up a slight hill (backwards) and it may have been in gear, so I wanted to get it checked just in case. The parking brake might need a little love as well.

Quote:
Where in east London are you?
I'm in Bow E3 (Just off the A12 / Tredegar rd).
ktz is offline   Reply With Quote