Thread: 240 General: - Recommended Garage (East London)
View Single Post
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 11:45   #7
Triple-S
How Old?

A few extra's to Bugjams comments. Braydons as such doesn't exist any more. Steve has moved to a different place near Seven Sisters but for the life of me can't remember its name! However I found it last autumn by googling.... and he is just as helpful and knowledgable.
Those 240 headlamps are one of Mr Volvo's rubbish designs. We all know headlamp bulbs get hot so over the years those white plastic pivot mounts disintegrate as plastic always does. So why did they do it - idiots! And as for those pivot bolts, the nuts securing the reflectors from the back ALWAYS seize if not assembled with a bit of grease: result the hex bolt head rips the plastic housing thus wrecking that too.
As said replacement assemblies aint cheap.... headlamp glasses can be removed with care by opening those securing clips around the perimeter, by taking the grill off and removing yet more plastic surrounding the unit. Give me round headlamps like on my '76 244 any day!
Battery drain: I had similar on my Volvo 145 - it flattened a battery when parked up for just a day. I swapped the regulator - no difference so swapped alternator. Result - no problems now. I know naff-all about electrics but the answer in my case was a fault in the Alternator but dunno what.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote