Thread: 240 General: - Recommended Garage (East London)
View Single Post
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 11:20   #10
ktz

Hi @Bugjam – thanks again for the reply! Sorry for the delay coming back, for some reason I wasn't getting notifications.

Re: headlights
Quote:
All fixable- I’ll post pics later of how I fixed mine after the bolts seized and needed cutting out - I used a dremel.
Those white clips go brittle as they’re affected by heat, replacements are available directly from Volvo or there’s a place on eBay that has pattern ones and will post them to you, if getting to a dealer is an issue.
The pics were really helpful thanks (will post a response to that separately). I will try and hunt down those white clips as, you guessed it, two of mine broke when pulling off the headlight.

Re: electrical gremlin
Quote:
Perhaps the alternator as suggested below? What voltage is showing across the terminals of the battery with the engine running? Might be that the alternator is barely charging.
The previous owner's records show them replacing the alternator relatively recently, but it's always a possibility. I recall the voltage being fine when the engine was running, but I will need to double check now that everything down. I had replaced the battery with an original from volvo and I think I may have fried it somehow trying to charge it. I'm not great with electrical tinkering, but so I would also not be surprised if I wasn't charging it properly. Either way, I had to revert back to my old battery (which I thought was faulty but seems ok...it was just the gremlin). Right now I need to get that headlight fixed and get some petrol in it (evaporated I think) to get it back on the road to test. This electrical issue is a huge burden really.

Re: transmission
Quote:
Most likely fine- shoving the car along in gear is what you’d do to bumpstart it and I haven’t heard anyone say ‘tried to bumpstart my car and broke it’.
That's good to hear. I wasn't sure if it made a difference if it was dragged backwards whilst in 1st gear or not so didn't want to take any chance, but it seemed ok driving it around the block.

Quote:
Parking brake is easy to adjust. Replacing the shoes if they’re worn out is also easy, thankfully.
Awesome, good to know thanks. The less I brief the shop with, I am sure the better off I will be. I think I also really need to do an oil change, but I recall struggling to whatever was recommended in the book (non synthetic 5w/30 i think?) Not to derail the topic, but what do you use?
ktz is offline   Reply With Quote