View Single Post
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 10:57   #463
10ZND

Default XC90 2016 caught fire after recall works

Dear Volvo owners,
I have read carefully this thread hoping that I will find information about cars that caught fire.
This is my unfortunate personal example – my XC90 MY October 2016 (motor type D4204T23) was recalled according to Volvo’s recommendations. The car had 65.035 km on board according to the dealer’s report (see attached).
I had the following messages on my dashboard: “verify coolant” – I stopped the car and added 0.75L of distilled water. It was the first time since I bought this car when this message appeared. And then, seconds before the car caught fire, while driving, I had this message: “engine reduced power”, managed to drive the car for 200-300m to park outside the road.
This all happened within 200km of driving on April 13. Then the incident happened. At 70.052 km, it caught fire while driving!
Volvo representatives performed a technical expertise and their findings are: no computers recordings related to the defaults I had on the dashboard of the car before the incident! Due to the fact that the evidence is destroyed, they cannot establish the cause of the fire. They also stated that since the recall was performed, the cause of the fire cannot be linked to the intake manifold, EGR and hoses.
My research shows that there are similar situations all around the world, different models with similar engine.
For me it’s hard to understand why there is no information regarding these cars that caught fire.
If you know similar situations and what caused them, I would be very thankful.
10ZND is offline   Reply With Quote