View Single Post
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 11:07   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Hi, 'jaycee001'. It is many years since we ran 2 series cars regularly in period before moving on to 7s. My personal opinion is that the 7 is the better car, although I know others will disagree! 2 series cars seemed to rust more than 7s, and the split folding rear seat on the latter is a boon when touring. Mechanically, I do not think that there is a great deal between the cars. Despite the years, either car - if well maintained - should be capable of delivering what you expect of it.

When we had the 2, we always carried plugs, points (the car was very sensitive to both - we used Bosch) and carburettor diaphragm (they were prone to splitting). Of course, if yours is an injection motor, this will not apply. Otherwise, just carry 'normal' spares - bulbs and the like.

Change? Cambelt, fan and ps (if fitted) belts. Always use genuine Volvo - cheap ones do not pay in the long run. New oil and (genuine) filter goes without saying!

I wish you a good trip. One very pleasant surprise we had the first time that we took our '81 244DL Auto (2.1 Carb) to Sweden was the decrease in fuel consumption. It improved from 23MPG overall to an easy 30 at a steady 90KPH - it is what they were built for!

Regards, John.