View Single Post
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 12:47   #10
jaycey001

Thanks allot for the replies, really useful!

I would love to keep my defender but unfortunately as its classed as PLG with no side windows it is impossible, or at the very least very expensive, to import it into Spain. It has been very reliable and I have rebuilt the engine, replaced gearbox/transfer box and done everything to it... but I have tried many options and it just isnt possible to import to Spain due to their strict laws.

Regarding breaking down abroad It has happened quite a few times and I have come to see it as a perfect opportunity to learn the local lingo I am very methodical with my cars and they tend to not want for anything... however the defender broke down when the alternator sized and stopped the engine turning and our 1989 transit blew a head gasket on the south coast of Spain... still made it home with some epic bodges!

I am keeping an eye on ebay and a few possible cars have come up, I think I would prefer a Manual but it wouldn’t be deal breaker. Any car will be getting a full recommissioning and a good selection of spares built up for any trips. I like to see it as a bit of an adventure (although the wife doesn’t always see it like that

Looking forward to being back on forums and having a new little project car

I am based in Suffolk but if anyone knows of a good solid late 240 then do let me know!

Thanks
James
jaycey001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaycey001 For This Useful Post: