Thread: C70: - Battery charging
View Single Post
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 12:04   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
In 42 years of car ownership - at that includes more than a dozen Volvos - I've never had to give a car battery regular top up charges. Of course I've bought new batteries - I had to get one last week for my 97 S90 as it happens - but I've always regarded the battery as "service consumable" - a bit like tyres, brakes and exhausts. Something that will last a good while, but not for the life of the car.

I do wonder about cars with automatic stop-start systems though. I happened to have use of a newish Fiesta a few weeks back, and it would stop the engine at traffic lights etc, and then restart when you pushed the clutch down. However, all the lights, heaters, audio continued to work even with engine off. I guess that engineers cleverer than me have thought it all through, but I could quite believe that a car with this technology used predominantly in slow traffic would tend to go through batteries rather more quickly than cars without.

Jack
If volvos are stored for any reason volvo recommend a top up charge every 3 months , you should not need a charger on there every week ...