View Single Post
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 08:41   #7
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Check the tailgate - the bottom rots and the panels you can't see behind the bumper are also prone to rust but a generous coating of rust-killer/prevention will stave it off. The tailgate wiring looms are vulnerable but there are plenty of threads covering fixes and replacement on the forum.

The carb is a pre-emissions one so you can adjust it easily. Interestingly, it should have an SU HIF-6 carb rather than the Stromberg; for the correct carb a "BCJ" needle is recommended. The Stromberg should have a "B1 ED" though that's for a B21A. If you can source the SU I'd be tempted to fit that, not least because it's common to lots of BMC/BL cars as well.

Look for an early, yellow-orange cover Haynes manual - ISBN 085696591X - as this has a section covering the B20 engine.

I'm not sure about the legality of the front indicator lenses; you could either fit orange bulbs into the holders or source UK-spec lenses if they prove to be a Con-and-Use issue. The car's MoT-exempt so putting it in for an MoT is purely voluntary.

Auxiliary lamps - Hella did a conversion grille with a set of driving lamps back in the late 1970s for the early cars but I suspect there aren't any available anywhere. (At which point someone on here will announce that "[I] have one".)

The headlmaps are standard 7" round lamps so sourcing RHD ones again shouldn't be a problem.

Look at "Othen's" Royal Barge thread for inspiration and keep on with the refurb.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: