View Single Post
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 00:00   #77
v50inred

Before I retired I worked for a large Ambulance service.

The vehicles were hammered from cold some of the time by some drivers, some used to start them up and warm the engines before the first call of the day, some used to run in from one shift and go straight out on the next.

Some treated them sensibly, some used to try and jump every speed bump they could find.

Some vehicles used to run and run with few failures, some would have massive issues, normally electrical, which is a system operator usage has zero effect.

Hard use will have more effect on a vehicles suspension than anything else.

A hammered vehicle will take on the loose feeling regardless of what parts are fixed.

The bodyshell itself will age and become less rigid. Think about motorsport, seam welding is done for a reason.

One component that will suffer from how the vehicle is used is the turbo, as will things like engine mounts and gearbox mounts.

One of the most commonly replaced parts on the response cars was turbos when they went over to diesel vehicles against the wishes of the staff that used them.

Also brakes and tyres.

Engines and gearboxes were very rarely changed and things like shocks and springs were also rarely changed.

Obviously the DPF made the replacement of engines and awful lot more common. Lowest mileage was under 5000mes before the engine out two holes in the block in a mk2 Zafira.

One XC70 had an engine failure at low miles but that was later found to have been a wrongly put together bottom end, a bolt fell out from somewhere on one of the pistons. Big end I think it was.

On a personal note I don't rev a car overly hard till it is nice and warm, rarely use full throttle unless merging onto a motorway or similar.

There is little point in most urban areas or in the South East for driving fast as there is too high a traffic density and traffic lights for it to be anything other than pointless.
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote