View Single Post
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 00:29   #1
sarfraz

Default Engine System Service Required - code 042

CAR: Volvo XC90 D5 ( 2.4 AWD ) 2010, ~93K.

Have all the services done by dealer or Indy, Last was in Nov 2017 by an Indy in Stockport. Just by chance checked pollen filter - the quality was rubbish - kind of made from newspaper. So decided and changed all 4 filters.

On 30th Dec, had car washed at ASDA and driven to a couple of places locally during the day and then after 4-6 hours, on staring car, it started showing "Engine System Service Required". Odometer button press revealed "042" code.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the car wash, this was not first time.

Apparently, everything looks okay as car works fine - no issue at all.
By everything, I mean swirl arm (moves on every 5th start of engine), cruse is working, break lights okay, can not think of MAF sensor issue (performance is fine).

I suspect overfilled oil - up to the top mark on gauge ( xxxxxxx ).

Drained extra oil, it is now below top mark by 2 x ( xx ).

Read some where that need to drive 100 to 200 miles and then the message would disappears?
Or pay an Indy to read and reset the code/message? ( if he does not bring up anything else )

Previously, he wanted to replace break discs and pads for a bill in the region of £600. I bought stuff from Volvo in less than £300 and got replaced from somewhere else - total cost under £370.

What is your advice? Should I run the car for 100 - 200 miles ( I'll be traveling the length of M56 next week both ways) or pay an Indy?

Thanks for your time in advance.
sarfraz is offline   Reply With Quote