View Single Post
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 00:23   #4
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The "O" rings are a possibility Phil, use some silicone grease (not sealant) on them to help them "find" their pressure-tight position and slip in easier.

Have you checked the Throttle Position Switch to make sure the idle switch is operating? Sometimes called "Throttle Closed" switch as well.

Also - B200F - i know it's a 1990 car and therefore too early to have a mandatory cat but does it have a cat and Lambda sensor? If so, it's possible the Lambda could do with renewal.

However, if the lumpy idle is present from cold, ignore those two ideas. They will only be relevant on a hot engine.

If it's present from cold, have you checked the large diameter hose between the throttle body and MAFF? Even a pinhole in this can cause problems!

I think you may need to renew the dizzy cap and rotor arm though, it sounds compromised and if so, even after cleaning, it will still be compromised.
Thanks Dave, I did renew the rotor arm but not the cap-I’ll order one and fit it next week. It’s definitely less than ideal, even after cleaning. The lumpy idle is indeed from cold-I’ll check the large hose to the throttle body, I think the joint where the pipe to the PCV mounts is a bit ratty and may well be letting air in. I still have yet to clean the PCV on this car, the flame trap is done but the actual box itself needs to come off and have the usual scrub and flush out.

I wonder if the MAF would benefit from cleaning too?

It does have a cat and lambda sensor, i will renew it just to be on the safe side. I’ve thought about de-catting the car but that’s for another discussion!!

On the upside, I’ve just got back from tonight’s gig which involved a 70 mile round trip-I put a bottle of Forte injector cleaner in the tank before I left, and the change in throttle response and general power is fantastic. No more working my way down the box to deal with hills, loads more power and smoothness. No difference to the idle, but driveability is much improved.

I’ve noticed since changing the fuel filter the in-line fuel pump has become a little noisy, so I’m now pondering changing that and the in-tank pump to make sure there are no issues with fuel pressure...the fun continues!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post: