View Single Post
Old Jan 29th, 2019, 22:08   #1
J4ck100

Default D5 oil rising & leak - Engine System Service Required

Hi Everyone,

I recently privately bought a 2009 XC90 D5, 109k on the clock.

A few issues have developed since my purchase, which I would love to get your help on.

First thing was that going up a hill with my foot down, i got a message appear ''Engine System Service Required''.

This lead me to do some research, which pointed towards the swirl arm (shocking piece of design!), which i have checked is intact.

The next 'quick fix' i found doing research was the oil level, as I understand it this should be 3/4 max on these EU4 engines. So I checked this today, and the level is well above the maximum, by at least 1cm. So I am draining the oil down to the correct level as we speak.

This has me wondering what is likely to have caused this? I'm going to be getting the VIDA codes read by a fellow member on Thursday, i'm hoping this might shine some light on this. I've read various things could be at fault including EGR, Swirl flaps, Injectors, and Blocked/failed to regen DPF.

I'd like to keep my costs down as much as possible and try and tackle as much of the diagnosis myself as possible too, so your input would be greatly appreciated.

On a similar note, when i had the engine cover off again, I noticed some oil spray around a pipe here, has anyone seen that before?

Thanks
Jack
J4ck100 is offline   Reply With Quote