Thread: V50 General : - 1.8 Petrol Engine Very High Emissions
View Single Post
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 09:42   #1
Kimberley Smith

Default 1.8 Petrol Engine Very High Emissions

Good Morning. Any help here will be appreciated please. My V50, 2006, 1.8 petrol, has failed MoT on VERY high CO and HC emissions. The tester said that they started just out of spec and then shot up as he ran the engine (expecting them to drop). He also said that he had to open the workshop doors and windows to clear the smoke! The compressions all appear to be good. My fuel consumption seems to have dropped recently, although it has never been good and performance has never been impressive. Three weeks ago I replaced the EGR valve (to stop clouds of smoke and heavy pre-ignition). The engine management light is not on and my ALDI fault code reader says that there are no faults recorded (having cleared the one from the faulty EGR valve). I have done the obvious; air and oil filters, oil, plugs. I am wondering about a failed temperature sensor or air-flow sensor so will check those. I have booked it in for a check on the volvo diagnostics machine, although I wonder if I will be wasting my money as there are no apparent fault codes. Many thanks. Kim.
Kimberley Smith is offline   Reply With Quote