View Single Post
Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 19:58   #3
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
I am gutted to learn that the law has changed and that my car will fail the next MOT if I leave my expensive LEDs in my headlamp units. I can barely see with the halogen bulbs in my car, time for a new car I think.

The MOT test was amended when the UK left the European Union on 1 January 2021. T

The section for testers around bulbs now reads: “Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or Light Emitting Diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

Previously, the MOT tester would check that the car fitted with LED bulbs had a self-levelling or headlight cleaning system. If these systems weren’t working, the car would fail. If the car didn’t have these systems, it would pass. There was no other mention of aftermarket bulbs so as long as the beam was the right pattern and the correct colour, the car wouldn’t fail on its headlights.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...mp-conversions
Laney
Rather than a "replacement" car it May be worth looking at Replacement New headlight units with reflectors that Do.

I know when i had my 940 i considered the headlights With halogens to be worse than a Naffi candle down a coal mine,, (they really really ARE shocking )

Mind you when i got my current V50 the headlights were As bad on halogen bulbs,, burnt out and degraded reflectors,, these took replacement projector + reflector units to be "aha there IS a road in front of me".

id Never Ever suggest you would/could contemplate the "swap bulbs" route for tests,,(tho it is simples on the 940s....)

and yes the EU inspired law is utter madness

Sadly Far too many idiots (id usually use stronger words) have in the past fitted HID and LED bulbs into headlights and caused Glare issues due to Wrong hid type/wrong lense design / too high an output HID unit, and with the likes of BMW/AUDI etc now fitting LED light units to there cars that DO dazzle and cause glare the "innit" lot have been retro fitting Those into Totally unsuitable and Badly setup headlights "cos innit" (etc)

madness and Utterly stupid when Saftey is taken into accout
BUT take into account the AIM is to get ALL older (petrol or diesel) cars OFF the roads forcing us to use "milk floats" ,, totally understandable
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: