Thread: Service Issues: - Solar Battery Maintainer
View Single Post
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 08:48   #8
R-P
Master Member

My issue is with the marketing vs actual use. As said, 100mA may be 3x the drain, but it won't deliver that 8 hours a day (8 hours times 100mA (solarpanel) minus 24 hours at 33mA (standby drain) equals a net of ZERO, and as said, it won't do 8 hours at 100mA, so you'll still loose battery capacity).

The net effect of such a small panel is in most cases that the battery will still drain, but slower. But they are sold as actually charging the battery. Someone relying on such a panel to save his camper battery will probably kill it whereas he would normally, if he has common sense and enough knowledge on the subject, have checked and charged his battery every month of at least have disconnected it.

Such a panel on an unused battery may charge it. Such a panel on a battery hooked up to a car may give a false sense of security.

And I added a 40mA drain to constantly suck air through my CEM, so I need at least double the capacity of panel to compensate for my now more-than-doubled standbydrain

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote