Thread: Engine: 2.3 F/Inj B23E/B230F: - B23A to B230FT conversion
View Single Post
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 09:38   #19
mylittletony
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240ratrod View Post
Thanks, yes I have seen the IPD kit and read that a plate should be used as an added.

Re the overdrive: when I bought the car I had no fourth gear, so I removed the solenoid and ground a groove in it so it was effectively deactivated. I topped up the fluids and ever since have had a proper 4 speed auto. Why would you want to have to manually activate fourth gear?

I thought both boxes were the same, except for the speedo drive.
The B230FT is now free from the 940 'box so I assume no issues with bolting it up to the 240 'box?

As the 240 is used every day at the moment I'm trying to do what I can to the B230 in preparation for the day of removing the B23 to make time without the car as short as possible.

Yeah if I need to come down your way any time I'll let you know, but it's a hefty drive!
technically the solenoid de-activates 4th for towing and steep hills, but that's semantics and what kickdown is for in my eyes. Can't comment on swapping auto boxes as no experience...

Swapping aux shafts is the most 'involved' part of the job, if you can find one separately, you can get the turbo engine fully built in advance - I'd suggest leaving the cam for another day.

Are you aware of flipping the steering column?

It's also worth cleaning up any engine bay/bulkhead rust while the engine is out. I'd recommend not rushing it and give yourself a chunk of time to sort out things like intercooler piping, exhaust fab. It's not complicated but equally not going to take you 5 mins

Have a read of my build thread on RR with some pics of stuff (pages 5 & 6 are turbo conversion)
http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/...-update?page=5
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote